I began practicing family law in 1976, at age 24, after graduating with honors from Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis.
I began my legal career as an intern with the Legal Services Organization of Indiana, in Indianapolis, then as an attorney with VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America). There, and as director of the Legal Aid Society of Evansville, I handled divorces, child custody matters, child abuse and neglect cases, social security appeals and consumer and landlord-tenant cases.
During six years with the Legal Aid Society of Evansville, Indiana, and two more with the Women's Legal Clinic in Highland, Indiana, I handled thousands of divorce and custody cases.
I've now practiced family law in Reno since 1986. With the move to Nevada I eventually limited my practice to family law, which covers an extremely broad range of issues.
My practice has always included a representative cross section of both men and women. I have found that neither sex has a monopoly on honesty, sincerity or love for their children and families. I hope that I have always represented the best interests of my client, no matter which side they are on; however the goal is and should be to assist and guide the parties in reaching the best settlement or outcome for their individual situation.
As an attorney I most enjoy making a positive difference in my clients' lives, as few other professions can. As your attorney, you will find that I am readily accessible, straightforward and honest. My advice and my representation is based on over thirty-five years experience, allowing both a realistic and astute understanding of your case and the family courts. I will make sure you understand your options and have clear expectations, so that you can make the decisions which will have a lasting impact on your life and your children's lives.
I look forward to meeting you!
- Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Simple Wills and Durable Powers of Attorney
- Prenuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Name Changes
- Protection Orders
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana,
Honors: Cum Laude
- Iowa Wesleyan College, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa,
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: Elementary Education
- Representative Cases:
- Wallace v. Wallace, 112 Nev. 1015 (1996)
- Figliuzzi v. District Court, 111 Nev. 338 (1995)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Instructor, Legal Research, University of Evansville, 1978
- Instructor, Introduction to Law, Purdue University, 1983
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Nevada, Family Law Section, 1986
- Northern Nevada Women Lawyers
- Collaborative Practitioners
- Ancillary Businesses:
- CLC, Inc.: Participating Plan Attorney