Parental Relocation

Do you need to relocate with your child out of state? Do you have joint physical or primary custody? Are you trying to prevent relocation? Either way, parental relocation can be a complicated process, requiring the approval of the court before you are allowed to move away with your children. If you are considering moving, you need the help of an experienced family law attorney.

I represent parents looking to relocate as well as parents looking to prevent a move that they feel is not in the best interests of their child.

Do you have questions about parental relocation? I have answers. Contact me today to schedule an appointment at my comfortable Reno, Nevada, office.

The Best Interest of Your Child

Sometimes, “the best interests of the child” can seem overused, even cliché. This is not one of those times. The courts in Nevada take relocation very seriously, and the court ultimately decides to grant or reject your application based solely on what it determines to be in the best interests of your child.

The courts will consider a number of factors in deciding whether to grant a move, including:

  • Will the move improve the child’s quality of life?
  • Is there a legitimate reason for the move (i.e. job opportunity, remarriage of the custodial parent, better educational or medical access for the child)?
  • Can adequate contact with the non-custodial parent be sustained?
  • Is the custodial parent likely to follow a visitation order after relocation?

International Child Custody Disputes

Managing child custody arrangements can pose a challenge, even when both parents are on amicable terms and live in the same state. This can become far more complicated when either parent lives out of state, or the custodial parent is seeking to relocate out of state or even abroad. Obtain experienced legal help to protect your parental rights and act in your child’s best interests.

I have an extensive background handling interstate and international child custody disputes. I will apply my legal skills and knowledge of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act and Hague Convention in pursuit of securing your legal rights.

Handling Interstate Child Custody and Child Support Disputes

In the past, states had their own interstate child custody and child support laws. This allowed parents to relocate to another state, posing a great risk to the non-custodial parent’s visitation rights and parenting time. Parents were also known to move across state lines in an effort to avoid making child support payments.

To enforce child custody and child support arrangements nationwide, many states — including Nevada — follow the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act  and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act will determine which state has jurisdiction in child custody cases involving children who live in a different state.

International Child Custody Disputes

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act is designed to stop parents from moving to another state and establishing a parenting plan that excludes the other parent. This would be considering kidnapping. Through the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, definitions have been established nationwide outlining how a child’s home state is determined and which courts have jurisdiction to order a parenting plan.

Generally, a child must live in a state for least six months before the courts can order a parenting plan. I understand the sometimes conflicting guidelines which must be followed in interstate child custody and child support cases. I will take every measure possible to protect your rights and act in your child’s best interests.


If your child custody and visitation rights are being ignored, or you are having difficulty getting someone to fulfill their parental obligations, you may feel there is nothing you can do. Fortunately, an experienced Reno paternity and fathers’ rights attorney can help put an end to any paternity disputes threatening your child’s best interests.

I am Marta Presti, an experienced family law attorney. Since 1976, I have been handling paternity issues. I am committed to working closely with clients in pursuit of a resolution that meets the needs of their family.

If you need help resolving a difficult paternity or custody issue, contact me today to schedule an appointment. I will apply my years of experience and legal skills to protect your best interests.

Assertive and Compassionate Washoe County Parental Rights Attorney

Children deserve to have both parents in their lives. If you are unable to resolve a custody situation amicably or are being cut out of your child’s life, it is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately. The longer you are kept out of your child’s life, the more difficult it will be to reverse that status quo. You deserve to be in your child’s life, and the law is on your side with the preference of keeping both parents in their children’s lives.

From my law office in Reno, Nevada, I offer strong advocacy to fathers interested in establishing a relationship with their biological children. I am committed to helping fathers assert their parental rights through establishing paternity. Once paternity is established, fathers gain the opportunity to:

  • Pursue a petition to modify the child custody orders
  • Request visitation rights
  • Challenge stepparent adoptions.