International Child Custody Disputes

Managing child custody arrangements can pose a challenge, even when both parents are on amicable terms and live in the same state. This can become far more complicated when either parent lives out of state, or the custodial parent is seeking to relocate out of state or even abroad. Obtain experienced legal help to protect your parental rights and act in your child’s best interests.

I have an extensive background handling interstate and international child custody disputes. I will apply my legal skills and knowledge of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act and Hague Convention in pursuit of securing your legal rights.

Handling Interstate Child Custody and Child Support Disputes

In the past, states had their own interstate child custody and child support laws. This allowed parents to relocate to another state, posing a great risk to the non-custodial parent’s visitation rights and parenting time. Parents were also known to move across state lines in an effort to avoid making child support payments.

To enforce child custody and child support arrangements nationwide, many states — including Nevada — follow the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act  and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act will determine which state has jurisdiction in child custody cases involving children who live in a different state.

International Child Custody Disputes

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act is designed to stop parents from moving to another state and establishing a parenting plan that excludes the other parent. This would be considering kidnapping. Through the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, definitions have been established nationwide outlining how a child’s home state is determined and which courts have jurisdiction to order a parenting plan.

Generally, a child must live in a state for least six months before the courts can order a parenting plan. I understand the sometimes conflicting guidelines which must be followed in interstate child custody and child support cases. I will take every measure possible to protect your rights and act in your child’s best interests.


If your child custody and visitation rights are being ignored, or you are having difficulty getting someone to fulfill their parental obligations, you may feel there is nothing you can do. Fortunately, an experienced Reno paternity and fathers’ rights attorney can help put an end to any paternity disputes threatening your child’s best interests.

I am Marta Presti, an experienced family law attorney. Since 1976, I have been handling paternity issues. I am committed to working closely with clients in pursuit of a resolution that meets the needs of their family.

If you need help resolving a difficult paternity or custody issue, contact me today to schedule an appointment. I will apply my years of experience and legal skills to protect your best interests.

Assertive and Compassionate Washoe County Parental Rights Attorney

Children deserve to have both parents in their lives. If you are unable to resolve a custody situation amicably or are being cut out of your child’s life, it is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately. The longer you are kept out of your child’s life, the more difficult it will be to reverse that status quo. You deserve to be in your child’s life, and the law is on your side with the preference of keeping both parents in their children’s lives.

From my law office in Reno, Nevada, I offer strong advocacy to fathers interested in establishing a relationship with their biological children. I am committed to helping fathers assert their parental rights through establishing paternity. Once paternity is established, fathers gain the opportunity to:

  • Pursue a petition to modify the child custody orders
  • Request visitation rights
  • Challenge stepparent adoptions.

When a marriage ends in divorce, child custody and visitation issues are often the most contentious aspects of the divorce process. No parent wants to give up time with their children, and they will fight aggressively to protect their parental rights.

Custody & Visitation Modification

If you are going through a child custody or visitation dispute, you need an experienced family law attorney looking out for your interests.

If you need help with custody or visitation modification, contact me today to schedule an appointment.

Advising You When Life Changes

It is always in the best interest of parents and children to secure a workable and realistic custody or visitation agreement the first time around, as it can be difficult to modify an existing agreement. In order to modify the status quo, you must be able to show that a significant change in circumstances has occurred and/or that it is in the best interests of the child to revise the current arrangements.

With more than 30 years of family law experience, I have a thorough understanding of what judges are looking for. I can help you successfully demonstrate why visitation or custody should be changed and give you the best chance at achieving a successful outcome.